Northern Youth Abroad (NYA) provides programming to youth aged 15 to 22 living in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories and offers skills and training, hands on work experience, and high school credits through a cross cultural work and learning experience in southern Canada and abroad. NYA seeks to foster cross-cultural awareness, individual career goals, and global citizenship while promoting leadership development, healthy self-confidence and self-esteem through life-changing experiences.
NYA is currently seeking an energetic and organized individual for a Program and Event Assistant Position in our Ottawa office who can assist with all elements of the planning and execution of our summer program.
This is a student position. To qualify for this position, you must be a full-time returning student to a Canadian post-secondary institution (college or university) in September 2018.
- Work with program staff to coordinate and facilitate NYA’s summer programming and its participants
- Assist with the coordination of participant work placements including recruiting suitable partners, providing orientation before placement, support during placement, and assist in the evaluation post-placement.
- Liaise with and take direction from the Executive Director
- Assist in the preparation and on-site execution of the NYA Orientation (8 day) and Reorientation (9 day) events
- Support and arrange logistics relating to travel, event coordination, and program placements
- Assist in participant, host family, and work placement support
- Work independently while the Executive Director, and/or senior staff is away from the office
- Assist in program administration, promotion and publicity
Other Qualifications include:
- Highly organized and great attention to detail
- Enthusiastic and willing to learn
- Self-motivated and independent worker
- Great communication skills and the ability to communicate clearly.
- The ability to work flexible hours including evening and weekend work
- Cross-cultural experience in general, and in-particular experience working with Northern Canada and/or Indigenous youth is highly preferred.
- The ideal candidate would be someone who enjoys a flexible and versatile work environment that is interested in a summer position that includes a wide variety of duties and challenges ranging from office work to helping us at camp
Compensation: $15 per hour/40 hours per week. All expenses related to attending Orientation and Re-Orientation are covered (accommodation, meals, transportation).
If you are someone who thrives in a fast paced, but fun and friendly, work environment and who can handle multiple tasks and priorities this may be the job for you. This position is perfect for someone interested in playing a meaningful role during the most exciting and active phase of our program, while developing their own skills in youth programming and event coordination.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter below or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications are to be submitted by March 15th, 2018.