Since 2011, NYA has offered over 95 bursaries to Alumni to support them financially as they pursue their education. Created to provide support to members of the NYA alumni who are pursuing post-secondary education, this year NYA will award a number of $500 bursaries.
2020 Bursary – Apply Now
Applications are now open for Alumni in post-secondary in January 2021. First come, first served.Apply Now
To qualify for the NYA Alumni Bursary you must:
- Be a member of the NYA (or NYAP) Alumni having completed at least one of NYA’s core programs.
- Be enrolled in a program at an accredited Canadian institution that is at minimum one year in length. Accredited institution is a school recognized by either the Association of Universities and Colleges Canada or the Association of Community Colleges, including programs offered by Nunavut Arctic College and Aurora College.
- Be a full-time student.
- Be able to provide proof of acceptance/enrolment in January 2021 for the Winter Term.
- Agree to be featured in NYA promotional materials etc.
How to Apply?
- Read over the application form and fill it in answering the questions listed. You can fill the application out and submit it online, by email or fax.
- If you have not received an NYA bursary before, you will need to write an essay (making sure that it is at least 750 words long and no more than 1500 words). It might be a good idea to have someone proofread it for you. If your essay does not meet the word count it will be sent back to you.
Your Essay Should include the following:
– How Northern Youth Abroad helped to prepare you to continue with your education.
– Why you have chosen your program of study, and how it fits in with your career and personal goals?
– How you have contributed to your community since participating in NYA?
– Your hopes for your home community and territory in the future, and how you see yourself contributing to this.
- If you have received an NYA bursary before and are in the same program you do not have to attach an essay.
- If you have received an NYA bursary before but have changed programs, you will need to submit a short essay.
- If you receive a bursary you will have to provide proof of enrolment from the school that you are registered within January 2021.
- Bursaries are provided on a first-come, first-serve basis; so you will want to send in your application as soon as possible after they start being accepted. You should try to have the application ready to send in and send it as soon as you can after they start being accepted.
- Once we receive your application we will confirm with you that we have it, and if it is complete. If it is not complete you will need to re-submit it once it is complete.
- You will receive a confirmation in January if you were successful, and receive your bursary in mid to late January.
Past Bursary Winners
See a list of previous bursary winners here!