Northern Compass envisions dramatically increased achievement among Northerners pursuing their education and career goals after high school, enabling them to become full participants in their communities and beyond. We will achieve this vision by: providing semi-supported activities, tools, and resources helping youth be better prepared for and able to navigate the systems in place; helping youth build connections and a sense of community should they need to travel away from home; and provide accessible and relevant resources with information on funding, housing, budgeting and other areas related to student success
About the Project
We have an opening for a Student Support staff person (fulltime 20- week contract to begin March 8th). This position will focus on a new initiative in partnership with Camosun College. The partnership will offer a cohort of the “Exercise and Wellness Access Program” specifically to Northern students. The program will run fulltime for 16 weeks from March 15 to the end of June. Students will complete the program courses and take part in additional training and activities as a cohort. Emphasis will be on relationship building, successful transition to post-secondary learning, and academic success. Students who complete the program will have the opportunity to pursue the one-year diploma program at Camosun College in September 2021.
Students will connect remotely to classes/instruction, but ideally, we will be able to offer a portion of the course onsite in Fort Providence, NT.
About the Role
Location: Remote/Fort Providence*, Northwest Territories
*between 8-12 weeks will require the staff person to be onsite in Fort Providence
Starting March 8th
The Student Support staff person will serve as the consistent member of the team supporting students during the range of activities and courses taking place.
- Complete student orientation with each youth
- Develop strong sense of team with all partners
- Ensure each student has the set-up, materials and supplies necessary to succeed
- Work with the instruction team to coordinate and support the course classes and content.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with each student.
- Identify student needs and develop ways to meet these needs. This could include securing additional resources, developing activities or resources, or liaising with partners.
- Build a strong team between students and staff.
- Create and plan activities beyond the core courses that contribute to each student’s success and achievement.
- Develop next steps plans with each student and help them initialize these
- Be an active lead in all planned activities
- Work closely with the Program and Learning Support staff person to ensure the success of the initiative and each student
- Contribute to a wrap report and evaluation
- Ensuring all youth have the supports in place to move towards next steps
- Assist with transition for those entering the certificate program at Camosun
- Experience working with youth in a supportive role, and comfortable providing mentorship, guidance and encouragement in a positive and encouraging way.
- Prior experience working with Northern Canada and/or Indigenous youth is a highly desired asset, as is knowledge of the issues affecting youth living in the Canadian north. We strongly encourage applications from NYA Alumni, Inuit, First Nations and Metis candidates, and others with a connection to the North.
- Experience in coordinating projects including logistics, travel, reporting, evaluation – and everything else that makes a great experience for Students.
- The ability to help youth thrive as they endeavor to develop skills and take on new challenges. This involves balancing support and high expectations, being encouraging and resourceful.
- Great organization, strong attention to detail, and eagerness to do great work, find new solutions, and work together to explore new potential.
- To be a natural trouble shooter and solution finder.
- Comfort in supporting remote students and with the technologies that will be required.
- Ability to work flexible hours and overtime including evenings and weekends during peak project times, and during special events and activities.
Apply NowApply Now
The hiring and supervision of this position is managed by Northern Compass’s operational partner, Northern Youth Abroad. Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter with the “Apply Now” button above, or by email to email@example.com by February 12th, 2021.